Monday, December 13, 2010

Week in Review

This week, I lived at night time. Each of my shifts from Monday through to Thursday were night shifts. It was an intense but incredible week and as my last "official" week at my current placement, I didn't want it to end. Even when I was driving home from work at 5am. (Okay, maybe a little bit when I was driving home at 5am...)


So what events did I work on this week? Two formals and two military graduations. At one formal, I found myself asking a "too cool to move" eighteen year old to "turn off" his cigarette which made me look awfully uncool, much to the amusement of his friends.


As much as I love a man in uniform, Thursday night's graduation was outrageous. I was serenaded by two, very drunk graduates, verbally abused when I refused alcohol service of the same two graduates later in the evening and I may or may not have politely asked one graduate to remove the fairy lights that he had wrapped around himself. "Hospitality is about making other people feel at home when you really wish they were" is a mantra I tend to repeat on nights like those.


On Friday I was told that I could spend Christmas with my family in Adelaide as I had originally intended and I'm so grateful. It's going to be a great holiday, when it gets here.
My dad enforces the rule that we can only decorate the tree on the "first day of Christmas" which, according to the song, is not the first of December but the twelfth. So, while everyone else's tree has been up for a while ours went up this weekend. As all family projects tend to be, this one was utter chaos. Six children (yes, my eighteen year old sister and I count as children in this situation),a toddler, a dad with a camera and a grumpy mom that got grumpier by the minute meant fun was had by all.


A great week it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment