Monday, November 15, 2010

Why Harry Potter Means A Lot To Me

On Thursday, the first installment of the last film of the Harry Potter series is released. I'm beyond excited. I think a little tribute to HP himself is in order.
Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone was the first novel I ever read by myself. Mom started reading it to me when I  turned eleven but I couldn't resist the story and read beyond what she did every night. I loved it so much that I didn't mind having it repeated the next day.

I was captured by the magic of it all and each year, as another book was released, I eagerly awaited a weekend spent in bed, devouring the latest copy of the Harry Potter Series

I, literally, grew up with Harry Potter. I was eleven when he was eleven, I was sixteen when he was sixteen. Apart from the fact that an evil wizard didn't want me dead, my life and Harry's life were very similar. I dealt with my own "Draco Malfoys" at school, lost people I loved in horrible accidents, experienced a fair few crushes and had piles and piles of homework to get through. I laughed with Harry, cried with Harry, celebrated and worried with Harry.

I think that that's what made Harry Potter so magical.(Beyond the actual magic that is.) I and other readers were able to identify on an emotional level with Harry and his best friends, Ron and Hermione. That's what made the books so special, so captivating.
I had a friend who used to call me Hermione after Harry's best friend, Hermione Granger. I suppose if I was like any particular character in the books, it would have to be Hermione Granger. A goody-two-shoes, know it all with a penchant for big, furry cats who is beyond loyal to her friends? That would be me.

The Harry Potter Series is timeless. One that I hope my children and their children have the opportunity to experience. This year I'm not able to see the first screening of the film as I usually do with my sisters (grown up life tends to prevent that sort of thing) but the child in me will be at the cinema as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment