Monday, November 1, 2010

Two Months Down, Seven to Go

Today is my two month anniversary working at my industry training job. About a week ago I started to feel like I really know what I'm doing when I'm at work. I know where to go, who to ask and what the appropriate reaction to a certain situation is. It happened a lot quicker than I thought it would.


I'm based very much in the hospitality department at my current placement and I look forward to working in the events department in my next placement. (It's due to start on the 13th of December.) I've learnt over this time that hospitality, which involves the service of food and beverage, is not for me. I like interacting with people and learning about different types of food but I know that co-ordinating and organising is more my style. I don't feel that I'm cut out for the manual labour that the hotel/hospitality industry involves.


I have, however, met some truly wonderful people during my first 2 months. The group I work with is like a little family that has embraced me from day one and I'm truly grateful. I hope to stay in touch with a lot of them.


As far as an introduction to the industry goes, it's been a really good one. I now have a much better idea of how the things that I've learnt about at uni operate.


The last two months have been hard. I've missed my friends, my Sydney and my sleep but they've also been a great two months. I've learnt a lot, made new friends and discovered you don't need as much sleep as you think you do. I'm looking forward to discovering what the next seven months of industry training hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment