Sunday, November 7, 2010

My First Wedding

I've only been to one wedding in the last twenty years of my life. It was my aunt's and I was the flower girl. I remember walking down the aisle next to my cousin and getting into the bridal but that's pretty much it.


Last night I worked at my very first wedding. I was put on the children's table and spent my night running around after the flower girls and page boy. The rest of the team saw to their jobs and as a whole we came together to put on an amazing wedding for the couple.


At the end of the night the bride was quoted as saying, "nobody get's to say that their wedding day was perfect but mine was." The maid of honor wrote a thank you letter to the staff and the groom told my supervisor that the night was a ten out of ten thanks to us. I get the feeling we did a really good job.


And so we should have. When I thought about what were doing, really thought about it, we were doing more than working another event. It was somebody's wedding. Somebody's memory, iconic life experience and emotions we were dealing with. We needed to aim for more than perfection and we did.


In terms of a wedding reception it was a fairly cookie-cutter affair as they say. Traditional white ball gown, two tier cake, matching bride's maids dresses and all.I got to see the "stress" they speak of when referring to weddings in the half an hour leading up to the arrival of the guests as the bride paced anxiously up and down the room.
I've never really thought about my own wedding. I try not too. But what I hope that it is an intimate affair, I hope that I calm and more focussed on the purpose of the day than the day itself and I hope that all those that I love are able to be there to witness my love made sacred. (There'll also be a flautist performing Pachelbel's Canon in D during the bridal march but that's the only detail I know for sure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment